Today’s assignment: create and publish your About page, then either adapt it into a widget on your home page or add it to your menu.
Why do this?
- An enticing About page gives your readers an idea of who you are and what your blog is about, and shows off your unique voice.
- A short description of your blog right on the home page helps rushed, indecisive readers decide to stick around.
I added some things that I now realize were missing from my blog. I wonder why I did see the “missing” parts before. I have already learned from this course and it’s only been a week. I can’t wait to see what my blog looks like by the end.
About today’s assignment:
- What are the key pieces of your story you included in the About widget? The key pieces are that I am writer and storyteller.
- Why did you make those the focus, instead of all the other wonderful things about you and your blog? I included the lines about writing and storytelling because that IS the focus of my blog. The other things are about me which can be read on the “about me” page.
- Are there topics you don’t ever want to write about? Why not? I don’t ever want to write about spiders because I am terrified of them and they are creepy.
- What fact was hardest to leave off your About page or widget? I didn’t have a problem leaving anything off. I tried to be basic as possible.
- What are the top three things you’d like to learn, or ways you’d like to grow, from blogging? The top three people you’d like to connect with? I’d like to learn to be more blog tricks to make this space spiffy. I hope to see my writing change and develop as time goes on. I know what I’ve written in the past is different from things I write today. With the feedback I receive, I will be able to gain insight on how to become a better writer. I would love to connect with my writing heroes. I have connected with one, Beverly Jenkins, already, the other two would be poets, Nikki Giovanni and Sonia Sanchez.